This year, Ocean Outdoor Nederland launched the very first and annual Digital Creative Competition Amsterdam in collaboration with Adformatie. The ultimate creative competition in which advertising agencies, media agencies, design studios, digital agencies, brands and all creatives could push the boundaries in Digital Out of Home (read: DOOH) and competed for the top prize of €500,000 in gross media budget. The physical presentation was slightly different this year than we would have liked. Nevertheless, the award ceremony in the garden of the Moco Museum was a success. Below the after-movie of the award ceremony, impression photos and the 2021 award show.
In this ezine, Adformatie also looks back on a fantastic competition, with winners, judges and cases.
After-movie ceremony Ocean Digital Creative Competition
Want to know who this year’s nominees were? Click here because the jury will tell you in person!
If it doesn’t work right away, go to the settings on your mobile, settings for Safari, settings for websites and under ‘Camera’ change the setting to question. Now it will work!
The Digital Creative Competition
A competition in which anyone with a client can develop innovative concepts for the Ocean Digital Out Of Home screens. In 2010, Ocean Outdoor UK hosted the first Digital Creative Competition to encourage and accelerate new opportunities in screen advertising.
Ten editions later, technology has transformed outdoor advertising from static to subtle motion, full motion, interactive, live streaming, augmented reality and 3D simulations. Ocean continuously invests in new innovative possibilities to enable brands to better connect with their target groups. With the right supporting techniques and insights, the possibilities for brands, agencies and the public are endless.
Jury & Event
The jury consists of a mix of renowned members. Creative, digital, innovation or media, but each one valued colleagues who represent the entire spectrum. The finalists will be announced after the first jury round. All entries that meet the selection criteria will be presented to the judges. The competition will be awarded offline and online.
Prizes & Categories
Entries will be judged by the jury within the two categories, namely commercial and non-profit. In both categories, the numbers one, two and three win an amount in gross media value*. Amounts that are fully usable on the digital screens of Ocean Outdoor Nederland!
- 1st place: €500,000
- 2rd place: €250,000-
- 3rd place: €100,000
*Read the general terms and conditions here (only available in Dutch).
These were the judges of the first edition of the competition in 2021:
- Carolien van ‘t Hek – CEO UM Nederland
- Caroline van Turennout – Directeur Marketing & e-Commerce Zeeman
- Cees Dingler – MD/Creative Director Capitola
- Gerard Ghazarian – Founder Candid
- Inge Ligthart – CEO Dawn
- Joris Kuijpers – Founder/Creatief Directeur, The Family Amsterdam
- Lydi Siebers – CMO Benelux HelloFresh
- Maddie Raedts – Founder, IMA & Global Head of Social for Fashion & Luxury, MediaMonks
- Max Pinas – Creative director Dept Agency
- Mervyn ten Dam – Creative Director dentsuACHTUNG!
- Patrick de Laive – Founder & CPO TNW
We are looking for creative concepts that make full use of the possibilities and push the boundaries within Digital Out of Home. Are you this groundbreaking agency or have you been walking around with the perfect campaign idea for years? See the steps below to join. We are open to all ideas and want to make sure that participation is easy and accessible for everyone. Advertising, design, content or media agency, advertiser, digital hero or all-round genius.
Whether your idea has been developed on a sticky note, coaster, full case, after effects or photoshop, everything is allowed, as long as the idea is clear and it meets a number of selection criteria. For example, the idea must be original and it must not yet run on another media platform. In addition, all ideas must comply with the rules of the Dutch Advertising Code.
Want to find out more? We explain everything in the Entry Kit (- only available in Dutch).
Step 1 Concept
Work out your concept based on the above briefing. Keep it relevant to the brand, purpose and medium. Make sure you have permission when submitting ideas from your client/brand.
In addition to your images, we would also like you to send us a brief explanation of your idea in no more than 500 words. This explanations sets out how you see your idea live, on which screens, how it fits in with the brand, who you want to reach with it, etc.
Stap 2 Visualisatie
To keep the participation process as simple as possible, we ask you to make a number (no more than 5) visualisations of your concept. We have a good dose of (Photoshop) mockups for you that you can use for the visualisation. The clearer the better, but remember that we don’t need final artwork just yet. To make it even easier, you can also draw your idea on paper, sticky notes or a coaster. Take pictures of it and send it in.
Step 3 Submit your idea!
TThe first edition of the competition has already taken place. Remember your idea and join us in 2022. After we have received your work in good order, you will receive a confirmation by e-mail and you will participate in the competition. Make sure you have read the general terms and conditions. By submitting your work, you agree to the general terms and conditions (only available in Dutch).
Visualising your idea
If you are not able to visualise your idea, don’t worry. We have 98 digital locations where an idea can be developed and various mockups are available in which ideas can be brought to life. The list of locations can be found in the Entry Kit and can be downloaded below. As indicated, it is also possible to make a sketch on paper. Need some inspiration to explore the possibilities of DOOH? Schedule a brainstorming session with one of our account managers or someone from our content team. Ultimately, Ocean assists in visualising the ideas chosen by the jury as a contender.
Conditions and assessment criteria
- The idea must be new and it must not be an existing idea.
- The idea may not yet run on any other media platform.
- We are open to all creative ideas, manifestations and messages.
- Does the message get across effectively on the DOOH screens?
- Are the unique options of DOOH being put to good use?
- Is the idea relevant to the brand/business objectives?
- The brand/customer must give its approval to enter the competition.
- The ideas must comply with the rules of the Dutch Advertising Code.
- Our regular spot lengths are 6, 10, 12,18 and 24 seconds, but it is also possible to dominate the entire 60-second loop. Please note that the gross media value to be spent is based on a 6 or 10-second spot.
- Full-motion content is possible on the digital city screens.
- Subtle/limited movement is possible on the digital roadside screens.
- There are 98 digital locations where you can develop your idea.
- span style=”color: #333333;”>Download the digital location list here.
- Remember your idea and join the second edition of the Ocean Digital Creative Competition.